Standardized emergency line and colour codes take effect June 15
HEMBC is pleased to announce that starting Thursday, June 15, 2017, two major Lower Mainland standardization projects will be implemented across Vancouver Coastal Health. These projects are:
- Updated and standardized colour code procedures
- Establishment of a standard internal phone number (7111) for staff and physicians to report an emergency or activate a code (referred to as emergency line)
- At this time, the following Vancouver Coastal Health acute sites/campuses will not be switching over to 7111: Bella Coola General Hospital, Pemberton Health Care Centre, Powell River General Hospital, R.W. Large Memorial Hospital, Sechelt Hospital, G.F. Strong Rehabilitation Centre, and UBC Hospital.
The benefits of a standardized emergency management program
These projects are a significant step forward in building a strong and consistent emergency management program in Vancouver Coastal Health. In addition to adopting best practices and consistent emergency response procedures, the expected benefits are:
- Improved safety for patients and health care providers
- Reduced confusion for staff and physicians who work across multiple sites
- Improved communication within sites and with external partners
- Introduction of additional standardized tools (such as new email notification templates, education, training)
- Common procedures across the Lower Mainland
What you can do
HEMBC emergency management coordinators will be working in their respective portfolios to implement these projects and will be relying on your support and collaboration. After June 15, we ask that you do the following:
- Review the updated and standardized colour code procedures
- Visit the Health Emergency Management intranet page on VCH Connect
- Register for an online learning module (Code Red, Code Green and Code Yellow available)
- Look for informative posters and material in your work place
- If you have any questions, speak with your manager or HEMBC representative
We would like to thank all of the emergency management committee members, staff, physicians and programs who helped us reach this significant milestone in health emergency management in the Lower Mainland.
For more information please visit the Health Emergency Management intranet page.
Please contact your HEMBC emergency management representative.
Area of Responsibility
Emergency Management Coordinator
|Vancouver – Acute Services||Sean Vaisleremail@example.com|
|Coastal – Acute Services||Evan Lloydfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Richmond – Acute Services||Maddy Laberge||Madeline.Laberge@vch.ca|
|Coastal – Community Services and Providence Health Care – Residential||Christine Rempelemail@example.com|
|Vancouver Community and Richmond Community Services||Scott Blessin (Interim)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Providence Health Care – Acute Services||Sean McCuneemail@example.com|