3 things Jacek learned while working as a perioperative nurse
Jacek is a clinical nurse educator for the Regional Peri-operative Education Program. He shares three things that he’s learned while working as a peri-operative nurse:
- Team work: You get to work with an interdisciplinary team under complex, time sensitive and at times stressful circumstances. It is amazing to see everyone come together for the benefit of the patient.
- The importance of nursing in the surgical experience of patients: Nurses act as patient advocates and humanize the surgical environment.
- Learning never stops: Technology and surgical techniques are always advancing.
Maria Brinza, clinical educator
Maria Brinza is a clinical educator with the Regional Perioperative Education Program within VCH/SPH.
What she loves about working in the perioperative environment:
- Fast pace: no dull moments in the operating room! Lots of energy, team work and support, being engaged at all time, this is a wonderful working environment!
- Satisfaction: working within perioperative team, I find very rewarding being part of patient’s surgical experience, making sure they get the best medical care.
- Education: I enjoy being an educator, sharing knowledge with enthusiastic nurses who want to specialize and work in the operating room. Our new RPEP training program includes online modules, skills lab and high fidelity simulation that make learning process interesting, fun and exciting!
Happy Perioperative Nurses Week
All across Vancouver Coastal Health – Perioperative Nurses work tirelessly to support our patients and their families through their surgical journey.
From small, minor procedures to large complex procedures – perioperative nurses are embedded into the multidisciplinary team to provide quality, specialized care to patients.
This week – Nov 6th to 10th – provides us the opportunity to say “thank you” to these members of our team and acknowledge the great work they do everyday!
Learn more about the profession on the Operating Room Nurses Association of Canada.