The annual 4/20 marijuana/cannabis event is this week (Friday, April 20) approaching. If you, your children, loved ones, or clients or patients, choose to use, we urge you to follow these tips:
- Wait at least 10 minutes to feel the effect of inhaled cannabis and at least one hour to feel the effects of edible cannabis products.
- Avoid driving 3 hours after inhaling or 6 hours after ingesting. Consuming cannabis may impair coordination and reaction time.
- Avoid use under age 25 to reduce risk of lasting, negative brain effects.
- Cannabis should be kept out of reach of infants, children and pets to avoid accidental poisonings
- Avoid cannabis if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding
- If you have had too much cannabis, try to remain calm, stay hydrated, and eat something. Stay with friends in a safe place. The effects will wear off.
For more info including resources for clients/patients, substance use services, tips on how to talk to your kids, visit our cannabis page.