Meet Marian, winner of the VCH Physiotherapy Role Model Award of Excellence
Marian Cayer is the recipient of this year’s Physiotherapy Role Model Award of Excellence presented on April 16 at the annual education day STEP UP 2018. She was nominated by her peers as a true role model for physiotherapists at GF Strong Rehabilitation Centre.
- Marian is a champion for knowledge translation and has implemented a balance training class for acute brain injured clients and their families who are now discharged home with increased confidence and balance skills.
- Clients prior to lung transplant benefit from Marian’s development of a physiotherapist assessment tool and incorporation of best practice guidelines.
- Her expertise in burn care has also been integrated into the GF Strong burn care pathway and patient education materials.
- Marian’s special interest is in myofascial release and fascial manipulation which she uses in her daily clinical practice after completing extensive course work.
- She has also worked as an examiner and assistant chief examiner for the physiotherapist national exams.
Marian also models an active, healthy, balanced lifestyle and enjoys cross country skiing, yoga and Zumba. Her peers feel they can always count on Marian and that she is “by your side” in time of need.
To quote her co-workers, “When thinking of Marian, I think organized, professional, kind, knowledgeable, involved, handles pressure so calmly – she is quite a force. She showcases the professionalism and wonderful traits that physios value and cherish. Congratulations Marian for role modeling excellence in physiotherapy practice!”
What is STEP UP?
STEP UP is a VCH/PHC-wide education day for physiotherapists and rehab assistants. This year is its eleventh year running.