Media stories for the week of Jan 21 – 25

January 21, 2013.

Mainland Chinese men avoid mental health help
Vancouver Sun
Research conducted by Dr. Hiram Mok and other experts at Vancouver General Hospital’s Cross Cultural Psychiatry Clinic shows that  Mandarin-speaking, single men who move to B.C. from mainland China are less likely to seek professional help for depression and other mental health issues than immigrants from Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Troubled teen, mother living in a nightmare
Province
A mother takes issue with the pediatric mental health services available on the Sunshine Coast after her daughter’s behaviour grows increasingly erratic.

Friday night drop-in league designed to give local youth recreational opportunities
Squamish Chief
A new youth Drop-in Dodgeball League has been put together by the RCMP Const. Melanie Zonderland and Vancouver Coastal Health’s Dr. Danielle Duplassie.

January 22, 2013.

Expired infant formula found on B.C. store shelves
CBC radio and TV
Claudia Kurzac, Manager of Health Protection with Vancouver Coastal Health Authority, is quoted.

B.C. doctors earn slightly less than national average: National Physician Database
Vancouver Sun
A report compiled by the Canadian Institute for Health Information said the average for B.C. family doctors was $240,356 in the 2010-2011 fiscal year, compared to the national average of $241,077.

January 23, 2013.

Let there be light
North Shore News
Positive editorial on the clinical trial that reduced the numbers of surgical site infections at Vancouver General Hospital by 39 per cent and save an estimated $1.9 million in care costs. “Let’s hope peer reviews confirm the VGH numbers and that Lions Gate patients will soon be having their noses “illuminated” as a matter of routine before surgeries.”

LGH provides quality care
North Shore News
Letter to the editor by Leanne Appleton, Director of Acute Care Services in VCH Coastal.

January 24, 2013.

Vancouver Coastal Health Authority told to stop punishing workers who call in sick
Vancouver Sun
Anne Harvey, Vice-president of Employee Engagement is quoted.

Temporary clinic opens to medical orphans
Powell River Peak
A clinic is being established for patients without a family physician as a temporary way to deal with the large number of medical orphans in Powell River, but a longer term solution could be with nurse practitioners. Doctors at The Medical Clinic Associates are offering the service after a number of doctors recently left their practices.

Falling through the cracks: A UBC grad on building a new mental health safety net
The Ubyssey (UBC student newspaper)
A first-person account of attempting suicide in Vancouver. The Mental Health Symposium at UBC on Jan. 26 is promoted at the end of the piece.