It’s time to celebrate volunteers – the heart of our community
Everyday Vancouver Coastal Health – North Shore volunteers make someone’s day brighter. In fact, across all 500 volunteers at VCH on the North Shore, thousands of hours each year are contributed to improve the lives of all our patients, residents and clients.
Starting this Sunday, from April 10 to 16, these contributions will be honoured in celebration of National Volunteer Week.
“On behalf of the Coastal Senior Leadership Team, a heartfelt thank you to all the VCH volunteers who selflessly give of their time in order to make the patient and client experience better,” says Mike Nader, Chief Operating Officer – Coastal. “We are incredibly fortunate to have so many people supporting us at our health care facilities.”
All of us who work for VCH also want to say thank you – to people like Fatehali Janmohamed, who has spent the last five years as a volunteer wayfinder at LGH.
Prior to volunteering at LGH, Fatehali volunteered at the Calgary Foothills Hospital for a number of years prior to moving to North Vancouver to be nearer his daughter after his wife passed away.
“I’ve met many new friends here volunteering,” says the amiable Fatehali.
Among his volunteer friends is Lyn Bailey, who’s been behind the Information Desk at the hospital for a year.
Doing what they do so well
The impact of volunteers can be felt across VCH – North Shore. For instance:
- 25 volunteers put in 160 hours a month helping out at adult day centres
- 16 volunteers put in 30 hours a month at community clinics
- 18 volunteers spent 78 hours a month with the Diner’s Club providing support to staff and clients during the dinner hour in three seniors’ building and one community centre.
- 229 volunteers devoted 1,800 hours in Auxiliary Department at LGH, which includes: Discharge and Delivery, Chemotherapy, Dogwood Shop, Evergreen House Shop, Thrift Shop, Emergency, Info Desk, Wayfinding, Surgical Services Care Unit, Pediatrics, At Your Service, flu, knitting, and OT.
- 20 people volunteered 93 hours a month on special projects such as pet therapy, decorations, and gardens
- 70 volunteers committed 662 hours a month at the North Shore Hospice, Oncology and in Palliative Care at LGH.
- 87 volunteers spent 317 hours volunteer at Residential Care sites and Assisted Living.
- Currently, there are 31 new volunteer applicants in process
“On behalf of Vancouver Coastal Health – Coastal, thank you to our 500 volunteers for the many hours you so willingly give and the contribution you make to healthcare and wellness in our community,” says Rocio Andrews, Manager, Volunteer Resources (VCH-North Shore).
For more information on how you can join our North Shore volunteer team, contact Volunteer Resources at email@example.com