ICYMI: Sea-to-Sky Long Service Awards
A number of staff along the Sea-to-Sky corridor joined Karin Olson, Chief Operating Officer, Coastal for a breakfast celebration at Hilltop House in Squamish on Monday that recognized staff with 10 or more years of service to VCH.
A total of 47 Sea-to-Sky staff reached a milestone of 10 or more years of employment in 2017. When you break it down, we have:
- 22 people with 10 years of service
- 4 staff with 15 years of service
- 11 staff with 20 years of service
- 5 staff with 25 years of service
- 3 staff with 30 years of service (Ross Dickson, Janet Hamer, Bonnie Golaiy)
- 1 staff with 35 years of service (Debra Pedersen)
- 1 staff with 40 years of service
As part of the event, Karin shared a few comments about staff in attendance who were celebrating 30 years or more.
30 years ago
- Ross (Ian) Dickson – Ross has held a variety of positions since starting at LGH in 1987 – from housekeeping to MDRD and currently as a maintenance worker. Ross commuted to LGH from Squamish for most of those years, but for the last 13 he has been a wonderful presence at SGH where not only is he known for his sense of humour, but his baking talents, which he generously shares with staff and residents on a regular basis. Thank you, Ross.
- Bonnie Golaiy – “Ever since you started as a care aide at Hilltop House in the 1980s, you’ve become everyone’s mother here and the go-to person for all questions or problems. Your kindness is legendary. If a resident asked, you’d give them the shirt off your back. You are as dedicated to the community of Squamish as you are to Hilltop House through your fundraising and – and singing karaoke, notably at the Chieftain Pub.”
35 years ago
- Debra Pedersen – “Debra is a thoughtful and conscientious nurse in the Operating Room at SGH. She’s a dependable member of the perioperative team who doesn’t hesitate to help a colleague and is frequently going above and beyond for her surgical patients. Debra is an active member of the perioperative team and was integral in the opening and ongoing improvement of opening the second OR at SGH!”