ICYMI: Sunshine Coast Long Service Awards
Dozens of Sunshine Coast staff gathered at the Seaside Centre in Sechelt on a sunny April 12 to celebrate staff with 10 or more years of service at the annual Long Service Recognition Event.
Thanks to the generosity of the Sechelt Hospital Foundation, staff enjoyed champagne and appetizers before Lauren Tindall, Director, Sunshine Coast, officially commenced the ceremony.
There are more than 800 Coastal staff, physicians and volunteers who reached a milestone of 10 or more years of employment in 2017. And this year, more than 1,700 staff, physicians and volunteers have been recognized across all of VCH.
- When you break it down, we have on the Sunshine Coast:
- 36 people with 10 years of service
- 22 staff with 15 years of service
- 12 staff with 20 years of service
- 16 staff with 25 years of service
- 3 staff with 30 years of service (Dr. Alice Lake, Lori MacDonald, Maureen Harapnuk)
- 1 staff with 35 years of service (Dr. Rob Lehman)
- 2 staff with 40 years of service (Dr. Eddie Berinstein, Alison Gibson)
That’s a total of 92 staff.
Quotes from the event
As part of the event, Lauren said a few words about staff in attendance who were celebrating 30 years or more.
- Lori MacDonald (Stores Attendant) – “Lori has worn many hats at VCH. Lori is a hard worker and always volunteers to help her co-workers. On a personal note, Lori can often be found on two wheels because she is an avid cyclist.”
- Maureen Harapnuk (RN) – “Some mornings you come to work and you just know it’ll be a good day. Our good days often includes Maureen. “Cap’n Mo” is a safe port in a maelstrom. She calmly and methodically takes stock of a situation and thinks before she jumps to conclusions. She has mentored many of us over the years and we are grateful she still comes back to help out in a pinch.”
- Dr. Alice Westlake (GP) – Dr. Westlake is a dedicated long serving member of the GP community and has provided excellent care through both clinic and community settings.
- Dr. Rob Lehman (GP) – Dr. Lehman is a caring and compassionate physician. His years of dedicated service includes involvement in a variety of collaborative health care tables.
- Alison Gibson (LPN) – Alison is a knowledgeable, competent nurse who is a lifelong learner. She has a wonderful sense of humour and in any discussion you can be sure she will always have the last word!! Forty years of working with Alison could never be too long – she’s a Shorncliffe treasure!
- Dr. Eddie Berinstein (GP) – Dr. Berinstein has provided the community with years of dedicated service. He served as the Local Medical Director for many years, seeing the Sechelt Hospital expansion through to completion.