Construction near VGH: here’s what you need to know
Construction is underway along West 10th Avenue near Vancouver General Hospital and the Emergency Department.
Access to all health facilities in the area will be maintained during construction; however, traffic pattern changes and parking limitations are now in effect. Please allow extra time to reach your destination.
If you’re driving:
- Construction currently affects West 10th Avenue between Willow Street and Oak Street; traffic in this area is one-way, eastbound.
- Parking restrictions will be in place as required.
- Off-street parking is available in the area. Please see this map for a list of available parking spaces nearby.
- Pick-up and drop-off zones will be maintained.
- Easily identifiable personnel will be on-site to direct commuters to facilities and find suitable parking.
If you’re walking or cycling:
- 10th Avenue will remain open at all times for pedestrians and cyclists accessing VGH and other health services in the area.
- Cyclists who are not destined for the Health Precinct along West 10th Avenue are encouraged to use West 7th and West 14th Avenues as alternate routes.
The project is designed to improve patient safety and access, while improving the safety, comfort and accessibility for all modes of transportation along 10th Avenue. Key safety improvements include:
- enhanced pick-up and drop-off areas for patients and clients, including 12 new passenger-loading zone and vehicle-staging spaces
- 10 new disability parking spaces
- raised crosswalks and intersections
- measures to separate road users
- enhanced lighting and wayfinding
- Visit: ca/10th-Ave-Health-Precinct
- Phone: 3-1-1
Please distribute the parking map to VGH patients and visitors.