Let’s get social, but let’s do it right
Using social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook and Twitter are great ways to feel connected with your friends and family. Many of us at VCH enjoy using social media for personal reasons and occasionally use our personal feeds to talk about work.
Using social media as a VCH employee
We have a policy about using social media as a VCH employee and there are four big takeaways from it that are really important to know:
- Staff must not refer to patients, clients, residents, students or volunteers in a disparaging manner online, even if the individual is not identified.
- Staff must not disclose the name of or other information about other Staff online without their consent.
- When Staff identify their affiliation with VCH on Social Media, they must be consistent with VCH’s image, values and standards of professional conduct.
- When publicly identifying as an employee of VCH, Staff must make it clear that their contribution to any non-VCH Social Media or Online Site is as a private individual and not as a representative of VCH. In this case, Staff must include a disclaimer in their “About Me” section or somewhere on their profile, such as:
The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer.
Want to be more “social” at work, but not interested in using social media?
In a couple months, we’re launching the new My VCH Intranet – it’s going to be our online community where we can engage with each other to:
- Give kudos, share thanks and recognize each other
- Knowledge share through forum-style discussions
- Share news, make comments and “like” things
- Easily find information we need to get our jobs done right
Best of all, you’ll be able to use your email username and password to access the My VCH intranet from anywhere – like home or in the community – to continue interacting online.
Can’t wait to see you there!
Thanks for reading and remember, just email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about digital communications.
Megan Bradfield, digital communications specialist.
Learn more about diving into social media.