Nursing Week events at LGH include Staff Forum with Karin Olson, pizza lunch & more
As all nurses across the world know, National Nursing Week was inspired by the trailblazing Florence Nightingale, an English social reformer and nurse who had a tremendous impact on 19th and 20th-century policies around proper care.
Known as the founder of modern nursing, Florence was born on May 12, 1820. (She passed away at age 90 on Aug. 13, 1910.)
In recognition of her pioneering work, International Nurses Day was established on May 12, a day that has been celebrated since 1965 – at least by the International Council of Nurses.
In Canada, the celebration of nurses lasts a week. This year, National Nursing Week is May 8 to 14.
To celebrate nurses, a number of activities are happening at Lions Gate Hospital:
- Coffee carts coming to your unit: Expect a coffee cart on your unit one day next week from 9 am to 10 am. (Sites include LGH, HOpe Centre and Evergreen House)
- Pizza lunch: On behalf of the LGH Medical Staff, come and enjoy pizza to celebrate Nursing Week 2017 – Wednesday, May 10th from 11:30-1:30pm in Seminar Room C
- All Staff Forum with Karin Olson: Come join Karin, who started her career in health care as a Registered Nurse, for coffee and snacks in the CST Hub (or what we like to also call CST Central) on Thursday, May 11 at noon until 1 pm. Hear about staff successes, updates on special projects and CST news.
- Bursary Awards announcement: The winners of the 2017 Nursing Week Grants will be awarded their cheques at an event Friday, May 12 from 11 am to noon. The winners are:
- Meghan Cornish – Home and Community Care – Bella Coola
- Arlene Jugado Evergreen House EGH 3 South
- Ruth Farnan – LGH ED
- Lydia Padre – Evergreen House – Float
- Heather Everson – North Shore Public Health – Maternal/Newborns
- Courtney Devane – North Shore Mental Health and Addictions
**Update: IHealth visit postponed
Our guests from Island Health have had to postpone their visit to Lions Gate Hospital originally scheduled this Monday, May 8th. Watch this space in the coming weeks when we’ll announce the new date for the Coffee and Conversation Forum where you’ll get a chance to hear about their experiences with an Electronic Health Record implementation, and ask your questions.