Sechelt-based TIDES program gets a reboot
When the Sunshine Coast-based TIDES program launched last spring, residents living in rural and remote areas got easier access to allied health services (physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists) without the need to leave their home community.
The Telehealth Innovation Deployment Education & Sustainment (TIDES) rehab team, located in Sechelt, provides service to VCH Rural/Remote communities including the Sunshine Coast, Powell River, Bella Bella, Bella Coola and Sea to Sky communities. Telehealth is the primary platform for the rehab service delivery.
With a new year just starting, TIDES is getting a reboot.
- TIDES is now accepting referrals from all VCH/PHC hospitals and rehabilitation centres
- TIDES is now offering specialized outpatient rehabilitation for acute brain injury & stroke
- TIDES will also be running community-based Aphasia groups in Sechelt, Powell River and the Sea to Sky corridor
“The goal of our program is to repatriate patients following acute brain injury/stroke from hospitals and rehab centres to their rural home communities for short term, goal focused outpatient rehab,” says Marina McBride, Rural Leader, Coastal.
TIDES appointments take place at local hospitals and health centres with our rehab assistants. Most sessions with a therapist will be via telehealth. The Central Coast communities of Bella Bella and Bella Coola are served primarily via telehealth.
Referrals are accepted from hospitals, rehab centres, care teams and physicians. Click here for a referral form.
Who are TIDES clients?
- Patient has had a recent acute brain injury/stroke requiring hospitalization within 1 month (excluding neurodegenerative diseases e.g. Parkinson’s, MS)
- Patient is in a hospital/rehab center recovering from an acute admission, is medically stable and can return to their home for short-term, goal directed outpatient rehab from OT/PT/SLP
- Patient has specific realistic rehab goals and demonstrates rehab potential
- Patient demonstrates motivation and a willingness to participate in their treatment
- Patient is able to travel to the main hospital/health centre in their area and attend appointments as scheduled
- Patient has someone to assist them during appointments if required
- Patient is willing to use telehealth as part of their therapy sessions
- Patient is 19 years of age or older
For more information, contact the TIDES team at 604-885-8690 or email TIDESteam@vch.ca.