VIDEO: Designing the future of surgery
In a corner of the now defunct Laundry Building at VGH, you’ll find nurses, physicians and other perioperative staff designing the future of surgery.
They’re participating in a series of simulation exercises to design the first unit of its kind at VGH: the Perioperative Care Unit (PCU).
Part of the VGH OR Renewal Project, the 40-bed PCU will play a pivotal role in the new surgical suite we’ll build on the third floor of Jim Pattison Pavilion (JPP) North. As the hub for pre- and post-operative patients, the unit will open new opportunities for improving the patient and staff experience.
Watch design in action
Watch the video and learn why Rea Blyth, an RN in the Post-Anesthesia Care Unit, says the new Perioperative Care Unit will be “a really incredible working space for all of us.”
- VGH OR Renewal Project website (internal link on VCH Connect)
- VGH OR Renewal Project: VCH Medical Staff website (external link)
- Hospital tours shed light on future of surgery
- It’s hip to be square
- Playing house all in a day’s work for OR team
- Mapping the future of pre- and post-op care
- Meet the docs designing VGH’s OR expansion